Backus Community Center 900 5th Street, International Falls Minnesota
(218) 285-7225 | Email
Office Open Monday thru Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Facebook

MISSION STATEMENT: “Historic Backus Community Center, the heart of International Falls,
where all generations celebrate arts, culture, recreation, wellness and life-long learning”


About Us

Alexander Baker Construction of the AB school began in 1912 and was completed in 1914.

The building was named after early settler Alexander Baker, who first settled in the area in 1870.
Backus building

Who was E.W. Backus?

Edward Wellington Backus (1860-1934) is the man most closely linked to the development of the International Falls area. Born in Jamestown, New York, he grew up near Red Wing, Minnesota. After completing three years of study at the University of Minnesota, Backus entered the lumber business in Minneapolis in 1882.

EW Backus

Three years later he purchased the company and by 1889, the E.W. Backus Company was the second largest lumber company in Minneapolis. By the turn of the century, Backus was focused on the Border Country with its vast timber resources and the tremendous potential for hydro-electric power which lay below the yet unharnessed Koochiching Falls.

Acquiring 127 acres adjoining the falls in 1900 was followed by completion of a massive dam and powerhouse in 1910. The Minnesota and International Railroad reached the area by 1907 which helped facilitate construction. A paper mill began operation in 1910 and a modern sawmill, employing 300-500 men went into operation in 1911. The development of Insulite followed with production in full swing by World Wary I. Backus' holdings eventually included mills in Fort Frances, Kenora and even Finland. Timber and water rights, as well as dams, were acquired and built on both sides of the border.

In 1900 the village of Koochiching had 256 inhabitants. Due in large part to the developments engineered by E.W. Backus, the city's population increased to 6,431 by 1910 and rose to 13,520 by 1920. Much of the expansion of the Backus companies was achieved through borrowed money. With the market crash of 1929, the weakening economy and severe decline in newsprint prices, Backus' principal company, the M & O Paper Company, was forced into receivership in 1931. E.W. Backus struggled to regain control of the empire he had built but died abruptly in New York on October 29, 1934. His personal loss was estimated at $50 million or more.

The Oberholtzer - Backus Connection

By the mid-1920's Oberholtzer and Backus found themselves engaged in a long and bitter controversy over use of the boundary waters. The Backus plan involved building a series of power and storage dams stretching east from Lac La Croix across the Rainy Lake watershed.

Opponents claimed this would spoil the natural scenery and constitute a misuse of natural resources. The campaign to stop Backus was led by Ernest Oberholtzer and colleagues Frank Hubacheck of Chicago and Sigurd Olson of Ely who formed the Quetico-Superior Council in 1928. Their efforts were finally successful, with the support of public opinion, and the passage of the Shipstead-Nolan Act in 1930, which prohibited further developments in the Superior National Forest. In 1933, the International Joint Commission soundly rejected the Backus plan.

Backus building

The Backus Community Center was designed by architect Nairne W. Fisher in the Art Deco style and constructed using P.W.A. funds in 1936-1937. At a cost of $391,000 it was the most expensive public works project in Koochiching County. Named the "E.W. Backus Junior High School", it served the educational needs of area students for decades until closed by the school district in 1991.

A grass-roots group of dedicated individuals began a campaign to convince the school district to sell them the building complex rather than demolish it at the cost of almost $1,000,000 to the county. Following years of struggle, the keys were finally handed over to Citizens for Backus in August of 2002. 

Each year over 20,000 adults and children patronize the building. In 2002 there were five proposed rental opportunities and now the Backus building is home to 12 various businesses serving the community in a central location.  Hundreds of people use the facility on a regular basis making Backus Community Center a vital part of International Falls and the surrounding areas. Today, the building sees new life as a home for the arts, culture, youth programs and community services. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.